Title … Prodigal Son … or Prodigal Father??
The sermon today is based on a story about a son who hit rock bottom and became fearful of his father … because of what he had done and how he had lived … but it is also a story of a father who never stopped loving his son.
- Son seen as prodigal
- But the Father can also b seen as prodigal … albeit in a different way … and for a different reason
- To refer to the father as “prodigal” may seem disrespectful to God, but … let’s understand
- 1) this is a story … and I’m calling the character in the story prodigal
- 2) the word “prodigal” has many meanings/connotations … meaning depends on context
- Key to understanding my viewpoint … understanding the meaning I assign to the word “prodigal” in this context
HOW WAS THE SON PRODIGAL?
- Son’s action … dissolute living (v.14)
HOW WAS THE FATHER PRODIGAL?
- The grand celebration … which some may have considered lavish, extravagant, wasteful, PRODIGAL.
WHAT WAS THE DIFFERENCE?
The motivation/reason for the prodigal behaviourS
- The son … motivated by greed, curiosity, SELFISHNESS, SELF-CENTREDNESS
- The father … motivated by compassion, forgiveness … LOVE
The robe (best) … re honour
The ring (signet) … re authority
The shoes ………….. re freedom
The calf (fatted) … for more than just family … enough for entire village
The message … RESTORATION … RECONCILIATION
This is a story of …
- a son, who sinned against his father, but who NEVER stopped being the SON of his father
- … and …
- a FATHER, who loved his son very, VERY much and who NEVER stopped loving His son.
THE SON NEVER STOPPED BEING THE SON
THE FATHER NEVER STOPPED LOVING THE SON
THE FATHER WAS PREPARED TO GO ABOVE AND BEYOND FOR HIS SON
Parable of The Lost Sheep
Parable of The Pearl of Great Price
Both show the extent that God will go to save us … because of how much value He places on us … but, also, because of how much He loves us.
Song BEFORE sermon … The Goodness of God
Song AFTER sermon … Reckless Love